白云谦逊地站在天之一隅。
晨光给它戴上霞彩。
The cloud stood humbly in a corner of the sky.
The morning crowned it with splendour.
死之印记给生的钱币以价值,使它能够用生命来购买那真正的宝物。
Death“s stamp gives value to the coin of life; making it possible
to buy with life what is truly precious.
我灵魂里的忧郁就是她的新婚的面纱。
这面纱等候着在夜间卸去。
The sadness of my soul is her bride's veil.
It waits to be lifted in the night.
我想起了浮泛在生与爱与死的川流上的许多别的时代,以及这些时代之被遗
忘,我便感觉到离开尘世的自由了。
I think of other ages that floated upon the stream of life and love
and death and are forgotten, and I feel the freedom of passing away.
瞬刻的喧声,讥笑着永恒的音乐。
The noise of the moment scoffs at the music of the Eternal.
安静些吧,我的心,这些大树都是祈祷者呀。
Be still, my heart, these great trees are prayers.
浓雾仿佛是大地的愿望。
它藏起了太阳,而太阳原是她所呼求的。
The mist is like the earth“s desire.
It hides the sun for whom she cries.
权势对世界说道:“你是我的。”
世界便把权势囚禁在她的宝座下面。
爱情对世界说道:“我是你的。”
世界便给予爱情以在它屋内来往的自由。
Power said to the world, “You are mine.”
The world kept it prisoner on her throne.
Love said to the world, “I am thine.”
The world gave it the freedom of her house.
绿叶的生与死乃是旋风的急骤的旋转,它的更广大的旋转的圈子乃是在天上繁星之间徐缓的转动。
The birth and death of the leaves are the rapid whirls of the eddy whose wider circles move slowly among stars.
大地借助于绿草,显出她自己的殷勤好客。
The great earth makes herself hospitable with the help of the grass.
在黑暗中,“一”视如一体;在光亮中,“一”便视如众多。
在静听着的松林之间。
In darkness the One appears as uniform; in the light the One appears as manifold.
刀鞘保护刀的锋利,它自己则满足于它的迟钝。
The scabbard is content to be dull when it protects the keenness of the sword.
露珠对湖水说道;“你是在荷叶下面的大露珠,我是在荷叶上面的较小的露珠。”
“You are the big drop of dew under the lotus leaf, I am the smaller one on its upper side,” said the dewdrop to the lake.
这个渴望是为了那个在黑夜里感觉得到,在大白天里却看不见的人。
This longing is for the one who is felt in the dark, but not seen in the day.
“你离我有多远呢,果实呀?”
“我藏在你心里呢,花呀。”
“How far are you from me, O Fruit?”
“I am hidden in your heart, O Flower.”
艺术家是自然的情人,所以他是自然的奴隶,也是自然的主人。
The artist is the lover of Nature, therefore he is her slave and her master.
在死的时候,众多和而为一;在生的时候,一化为众多。
神死了的时候,宗教便将合而为一。
In death the many becomes one; in life the one becomes many.
Religion will be one when God is dead.
那想做好人的,在门外敲着门;那爱人的看见门敞开着。
He who wants to do good knocks at the gate; he who loves finds the gate open.
使生如夏花之绚烂,死如秋叶之静美。
Let life be beautiful like summer flowers and death like autumn leaves.
这个不可见的黑暗之火焰,以繁星为其火花的,到底是什么呢?
What is this unseen flame of darkness whose sparks are the stars?
我的朋友,你的语声飘荡在我的心里,象那海水的低吟声绕缭在静听着的松林之间。
Your voice, my friend, wanders in my heart, like the muffled sound of the sea among these listening pines.
人对他自己建筑起堤防来。
Man barricades against himself.
绿草求她地上的伴侣。
树木求他天空的寂寞。
The grass seeks her crowd in the earth.
The tree seeks his solitude of the sky.
每一个孩子出生时都带来信息说:神对人并未灰心失望。
Every child comes with the message that God is not yet discouraged of man.
诗人--飙风,正出经海洋森林,追求它自己的歌声。
The poet wind is out over the sea and the forest to seek his own voice.
我们把世界看错了,反说它欺骗我们。
We read the world wrong and say that it deceives us.
雾,象爱情一样,在山峰的心上游戏,生出种种美丽的变幻。
The mist, like love, plays upon the heart of the hills and bring out surprises of beauty.
贞操是从丰富的爱情中生出来的财富。
Chastity is a wealth that comes from abundance of love.
这寡独的黄昏,幕着雾与雨,我在我的心的孤寂里,感觉到它的叹息。
In my solitude of heart I feel the sigh of this widowed evening veiled with mist and rain.
樵夫的斧头,问树要斧柄。
树便给了他。
The woodcutter“s axe begged for its handle from the tree.
The tree gave it.
把那些花朵抛掷上去的那一阵子无休无止的狂欢大喜的劲儿,其源泉是在哪里呢?
Where is the fountain that throws up these flowers in a ceaseless outbreak of ecstasy
瀑布歌唱道:“虽然渴者只要少许的水便够了,我却很快活地给与了我的全部的水。
“I give my whole water in joy,”sings the waterfall, though little of it is enough for the thirsty.
错误经不起失败,但是真理却不怕失败。
Wrong cannot afford defeat but Right can.
神对于那些大帝国会感到厌恶,却决不会厌恶那些小小的花朵。
God grows weary of great kingdoms, but never of little flowers.
幼花的蓓蕾开放了,它叫道:“亲爱的世界呀,请不要萎谢了。”
The infant flower opens its bud and cries, “Dear World, please do not fade.”
小草呀,你的足步虽小,但是你拥有你足下的土地。
Tiny grass, your steps are small, but you possess the earth under your tread.
谢谢火焰给你光明,但是不要忘了那执灯的人,他是坚忍地站在黑暗当中呢。
Thank the flame for its light, but do not forget the lampholder standing in the shade with constancy of patience.
神对人说:“我医治你所以伤害你,爱你所以惩罚你。”
God says to man, “I heal you therefore I hurt, love you therefore punish.”
“完全”为了对“不全”的爱,把自己装饰得美丽。
The perfect decks itself in beauty for the love of the Imperfect.
在我自己的杯中,饮了我的酒吧,朋友。
一倒在别人的杯里,这酒的腾跳的泡沫便要消失了。
Take my wine in my own cup, friend.
It loses its wreath of foam when poured into that of others.
风于无路之中寻求最短之路,又突然地在“无何有之国”终之了它的追求。
The hurricane seeks the shortest road by the no-road, and suddenly ends its search in the Nowhere.
决不要害怕刹那--永恒之声这样唱着。
Never be afraid of the moments--thus sings the voice of the everlasting.
麻雀看见孔雀负担着它的翎尾,替它担忧。
The sparrow is sorry for the peacock at the burden of its tail.
当我们是大为谦卑的时候,便是我们最接近伟大的时候。
We come nearest to the great when we are great in humility.
我们的生命是天赋的,我们惟有献出生命,才能得到生命。
Life is given to us, we earn it by giving it.
我的白昼已经完了,我象一只泊在海滩上的小船,谛听着晚潮跳舞的乐声。
My day is done, and I am like a boat drawn on the beach, listening to the dance-music of the tide in the evening.
我们如海鸥之与波涛相遇似地,遇见了,走近了。
海鸥飞去,波涛滚滚地流开,我们也分别了。
Like the meeting of the seagulls and the waves we meet and come near.
The seagulls fly off, the waves roll away and we depart.
玻璃灯因为瓦灯叫它做表兄而责备瓦灯。但明月出来时,玻璃灯却温和地微笑着,叫明月为---“我亲爱的,亲爱的姐姐。”
While the glass lamp rebukes the earthen for calling it cousin the moon rises, and the glass lamp, with a bland smile, calls her, “---My dear, dear sister.“
人不能在他的历史中表现出他自己,他在历史中奋斗着露出头角。
Man does not reveal himself in his history, he strugglesup through it.
你的偶像委散在尘土中了,这可证明神的尘土比你的偶像还伟大。
You idol is shattered in the dust to prove that God“s dust is greater than your idol.
心是尖锐的,不是宽博的,它执着在每一点上,却并不活动。
The mind, sharp but not broad, sticks at every point but does not move.
谢谢神,我不是一个权力的轮子,而是被压在这轮子下的活人之一。
I thank thee that I am none of the wheels of power but I am one with the living creatures that are crushed by it.
群星不怕显得象萤火那样。
The stars are not afraid to appear like fireflies.
阴影戴上她的面幕,秘密地,温顺地,用她的沉默的爱的脚步,跟在“光”后边。
Shadow, with her veil drawn, follows Light in secret meekness, with her silent steps of love.
神从创造中找到他自己。
God finds himself by creating.
他把他的刀剑当作他的上帝。
当他的刀剑胜利的时候他自己却失败了。
He has made his weapons his gods.
When his weapons win he is defeated himself.
世界在踌躇之心的琴弦上跑过去,奏出忧郁的乐声。
The world rushes on over the strings of the lingering heart making the music of sadness.
水里的游鱼是沉默的,陆地上的兽类是喧闹的,空中的飞鸟是歌唱着的。
但是,人类却兼有海里的沉默,地上的喧闹与空中的音乐。
The fish in the water is silent, the animal on the earth is noisy, the bird in the air is singing.
But Man has in him the silence of the sea, the noise of the earth and the music of the air.
你微微地笑着,不同我说什么话。而我觉得,为了这个,我已等待得久了。
You smiled and talked to me of nothing and I felt that for this I had been waiting long.
群树如表示大地的愿望似的,踮起脚来向天空窥望。
The trees, like the longings of the earth, stand atiptoe to peep at the heaven.
不要因为你自己没有胃口而去责备你的食物。
Do not blame your food because you have no appetite.
当太阳横过西方的海面时,对着东方留下他的最后的敬礼。
The sun goes to cross the Western sea, leaving its last salutation to the East.
妇人,你在料理家务的时候,你的手足歌唱着,正如山间的溪水歌唱着在小石中流过。
Woman, when you move about in your household service your limbs sing like a hill stream among its pebbles.
我说不出这心为什么那样默默地颓丧着。
是为了它那不曾要求,不曾知道,不曾记得的小小的需要。
I cannot tell why this heart languishes in silence.
It is for small needs it never asks, or knows or remembers.
瀑布歌唱道:“我得到自由时便有了歌声了。”
The waterfall sing, “I find my song, when I find my freedom.”
鸟儿愿为一朵云。
云儿愿为一只鸟。
The bird wishes it were a cloud.
The cloud wishes it were a bird.
枯竭的河床,并不感谢它的过去。
The dry river-bed finds no thanks for its past.
生命从世界得到资产,爱情使它得到价值。
Life finds its wealth by the claims of the world, and its worth by the claims of love.
神自己的清晨,在他自己看来也是新奇的。
His own mornings are new surprises to God.
绿树长到了我的窗前,仿佛是喑哑的大地发出的渴望的声音。
The trees come up to my window like the yearning voice of the dumb earth.
“月儿呀,你在等候什么呢?”
“向我将让位给他的太阳致敬。”
“Moon, for what do you wait?”
“To salute the sun for whom I must make way.”
我的心把她的波浪在世界的海岸上冲激着,以热泪在上边写着她的题记:“我爱你。”
My heart beats her waves at the shore of the world and writes upon it her signature in tears with the words, “I love thee.”
啊,美呀,在爱中找你自己吧,不要到你镜子的谄谀去找寻。
O Beauty, find thyself in love, not in the flattery of thy mirror.
光明如一个裸 体的孩子,快快活活地在绿叶当中游戏,它不知道人是会欺诈的。
The light that plays, like a naked child, among the green leaves happily knows not that man can lie.
神希望我们酬答他,在于他送给我们的花朵,而不在于太阳和土地。
God expects answers for the flowers he sends us, not for the sun the earth.
人是一个初生的孩子,他的力量,就是生长的力量。
Man is a born child, his power is the power of growth.
休息与工作的关系,正如眼睑与眼睛的关系。
Rest belongs to the work as the eyelids to the eyes.
“我们萧萧的树叶都有声响回答那风和雨。你是谁呢,那样的沉默着?”
“我不过是一朵花。”
“We, the rustling leaves, have a voice that answers the storms, but who are you so silent?”
“I am a mere flower.”
那些把灯背在背上的人,把他们的影子投到了自己前面。
They throw their shadows before them who carry their lantern on their back.
我不能选择那最好的。
是那最好的选择我。
I cannot choose the best.
The best chooses me.
神呀,我的那些愿望真是愚傻呀,它们杂在你的歌声中喧叫着呢。
让我只是静听着吧。
My wishes are fools, they shout across thy song, my Master.
Let me but listen.
你看不见你自己,你所看见的只是你的影子。
What you are you do not see, what you see is your shadow.
这些微(风思),是树叶的簌簌之声呀;它们在我的心里欢悦地微语着。
There little thoughts are the rustle of leaves; they have their whisper of joy in my mind.
我今晨坐在窗前,世界如一个路人似的,停留了一会,向我点点头又走过去了。
I sit at my window this morning where the world like a passer-by stops for a moment, nods to me and goes.
不要因为峭壁是高的,便让你的爱情坐在峭壁上。
Do not seat your love upon a precipice because it is high.
创造的神秘,有如夜间的黑暗--是伟大的。而知识的幻影却不过如晨间之雾。
The mystery of creation is like the darkness of night--it is great. Delusions of knowledge are like the fog of the morning.
静静地听,我的心呀,听那世界的低语,这是它对你求爱的表示呀。
Listen, my heart, to the whispers of the world with which it makes love to you.
“海水呀,你说的是什么?”
“是永恒的疑问。”
“天空呀,你回答的话是什么?”
“是永恒的沉默。”
“ What language is thine, O sea? ”
“The language of eternal question.”
“What language is thy answer, O sky?”
“The language of eternal silence.”
有些看不见的手,如懒懒的微(风思)的,正在我的心上奏着潺(氵爰)的乐声。
Some unseen fingers, like an idle breeze, are playing upon my heart the music of the ripples.
忧思在我的心里平静下去,正如暮色降临在寂静的山林中。
Sorrow is hushed into peace in my heart like the evening among the silent trees.
有一次,我们梦见大家都是不相识的。
我们醒了,却知道我们原是相亲相爱的。
Once we dreamt that we were strangers.
We wake up to find that we were dear to each other.
她的热切的脸,如夜雨似的,搅扰着我的梦魂。
Her wishful face haunts my dreams like the rain at night.
跳舞着的流水呀,在你途中的泥沙,要求你的歌声,你的流动呢。你肯挟瘸足的泥沙而俱下么?
The sands in your way beg for your song and your movement, dancing water. Will you carry the burden of their lameness?
如果你因失去了太阳而流泪,那么你也将失去群星了。
If you shed tears when you miss the sun, you also miss the stars.
无垠的沙漠热烈追求一叶绿草的爱,她摇摇头笑着飞开了。
The mighty desert is burning for the love of a bladeof grass who shakes her head and laughs and flies away.
是大地的泪点,使她的微笑保持着青春不谢。
It is the tears of the earth that keep here smiles in bloom.
世界对着它的爱人,把它浩翰的面具揭下了。
它变小了,小如一首歌,小如一回永恒的接吻。
The world puts off its mask of vastness to its lover.
It becomes small as one song, as one kiss of the eternal.
世界上的一队小小的漂泊者呀,请留下你们的足印在我的文字里。
O Troupe of little vagrants of the world, leave your footprints in my words.
夏天的飞鸟,飞到我的窗前唱歌,又飞去了。
秋天的黄叶,它们没有什么可唱,只叹息一声,飞落在那里。
Stray birds of summer come to my window to sing and fly away.
And yellow leaves of autumn, which have no songs, flutter and fall there with a sign.